Thursday, September 23, 2010

Back to the grind


A row of Angel's Trumpet in Copenhagen.
Where did my 2-week vacation go?

Time does fly fast when you go for a break. But no matter, over all it was an interesting and fun experience, never mind the fact that every other day I had to hop on and off an airplane to get to my destination. That was because my city-hopping tour also meant country-hopping to five countries in northern Europe.


Red Abyssinian Banana and some annual and perennial plants in Geneva.
The only thing I could complain about this trip would be the security procedures one has to go through at every airport especially if you realize that you get extra attention, the kind that you don't wish to get, the kind that I usually get just before I step out of the airport. I'm beginning to think that I have a "terrorist" word flashing on my forehead.
 
It was the last days of summer and the days were overcast and the evenings were chilly. It was not the most convenient time to visit this part of Europe, unless you don't mind the cold and the almost daily on-and-off rain. But no cloudy nor rainy day though would dampen the enthusiasm of this lost soul from discovering what the "old world" uniquely offers.

Beautifully arranged tropicals in Geneva.

Anyway, during this trip I didn't intend on getting pictures of local plants since this was my very first visit to this continent and I just wanted to enjoy the local sights and sounds. I couldn't help but notice though that much of the plants I saw were just the same as the ones we have here in the U.S. and elsewhere. It just shows that like people, plants travel too, and when conditions are right they colonize and adapt to their new environment.