Saturday, February 27, 2010

Familiarity breeds contempt

Angel's trumpet (Brugmansia suaveolens).

I have known this plant since my childhood years before I even knew its name. That's because I've seen a lot of it along the road as I traveled from the city to the country and then back. And I'm the type of person who loves to look out the window and enjoys the view of the passing scenery.



For such a lovely name, too much exposure must be the reason why I've learned to ignore this plant, a too familiar sight that has become too bland and too boring.

When they started to propagate this specimen, I scratched my head and wondered why. But when I learned that Mom and Dad deeply appreciate its beauty, my contempt for this plant faded away. After all my idea of a garden is not just about a vision, it's also a tribute to those near and dear.



In my head I heard the heavenly host play their instruments. The angels blew their trumpets, and joyfully I said "Amen".