Friday, June 11, 2010

This little piggy went to market...

... and brought ten little piggies back home...

That's my modified and shortened version of the popular "This Little Piggy" nursery rhyme.

When I visited the farm over a year ago, there was only one young female pig in our small backyard piggery. Since it was still a juvenile back then I wondered when can it fill up the other empty pens adjacent to hers. I wasn't feeling optimistic back then, knowing that it was just a mere wishful thinking.


So when I recently received this picture of that very same pig - now a full-grown sow - with a litter of ten cute little piglets, I was really delighted. When these little pigs get bigger they will be moved to the empty pens. I hope they all survive and someday produce more little pigs.

The pigs raised in our farm are not for commercial production but mostly for domestic consumption. But whenever possible we also sell when there's an extra to spare or when someone is interested to buy. As of this writing two of the piglets have been sold although they will stay with mama pig until they have been weaned.