Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Slide

"And I'll do anything you ever dreamed to be complete
Little pieces of the nothing that fall (yeah slide... yeah slide...)"

("Slide" by Goo Goo Dolls)

Sometime in late November 2009, I was informed that there was a landslide at the far end of the farm, where the farm overlooks the river down below. The damage was not substantial and there were no casualties either.


My mental picture of the landslide based on how it was described to me.

At the time the news was relayed to me, I sorely wished I could see the damage (frustration, frustration... sigh). They said it was small, but a damage no matter how small is still a damage that needs to be addressed.

Finally, after over a month, I have the general idea of the scope of the damage. And to me that is not something I would ignore.



We can only surmise as to the cause of the slide. The just concluded rainy season brought heavy rains and storms which may have loosened the soil. There were also tall trees planted near the cliff and the ground vibrations caused by the trees swaying with the blowing wind may have aggravated the situation.



Admittedly, without human intervention, nature will continue to sculpt and re-form the land until it reaches a stable state, only to be re-sculpted again in the future.